Create WordPress website from scratch
WordPress course for beginners – learn how to become a blogger and make amazing websites!
Did you know that about 35% of the websites on the internet are powered by WordPress? And it’s used by popular brands across the world, some of them are The New Yorker, Microsoft News Center, Beyonce, TechCrunch, and The Official Star Wars Blog. So if you are still wondering if you should learn how to use WordPress, the short answer is yes because you will not be disappointed.
In this course, you will learn how to create your WordPress blog in the most efficient way possible, and the best part is that you don’t need any prior knowledge. The goal of this course is to teach beginners and show that this content management system is easy to use. Once you understand how everything works, you will be able to create more than just a blog.
I remember when I started my first WordPress blog and what issues I faced, constantly going through WordPress for dummies tutorials, which did not help much. I didn’t know what is hosting or domain name, and how all these things work together. I used to think that to create a WordPress website, you must know how to code. So if you are in the same boat right now, I completely understand how you feel. I’m here to share my knowledge with you and walk you through the creation of your blog.
In this step by step course, I will answer your question of how to become a blogger. And within a day, your WordPress blog will be ready!
What You Will Learn in This WordPress Course
At the beginning of this course, I will explain to you what exactly you will need, and how everything works. You will see yourself that WordPress is a very versatile content management system (CMS). And it has to be one of the reasons why it’s so popular.
Setting up your Hosting and domain
- You will learn where to get your domain name for free (for a year). Doesn’t this sound great? Sometimes choosing the right domain can be very difficult. Naming your website is not an easy task, in some cases, it can take a long time until you come up with a final decision. I’ll try to make this process easier by sharing with you some tips for choosing your domain name. A great WordPress blog starts with a great name, which is easy to remember, and it stands out from others.
- When I was creating this WordPress course, I kept in mind to keep everything under a low budget. That’s why I’ll be using affordable hosting, I’ll show you how to get a free domain, and most of all, that’s why this course is free.
- Once you have picked a domain name for your WordPress blog, we will move to a more technical part. It’s where the whole creation process of your website begins. We will start by setting up our hosting and installing WordPress. I’ll walk you through every step, and you will see yourself how easy it is.
- By this point, you will understand what a domain name is, how to set up your hosting, and install WordPress. So basically, to create your website, you will need these three things, they’re the most essential. A domain name will be the name of our website, or we can call it an address. We will use hosting to store all our files, including WordPress, which will be our content management system.
- In the next step, we will install an SSL certificate on our website. It’s that grey padlock next to the URL, which you can see in your browser. It indicates that your connection is secure. If you want to have a professional-looking and trustworthy WordPress blog, you should have it. I’ll show you how you can easily install it for free.
- Every hosting provider has its dashboard, or we can call it a panel. Usually, from first glance, it can look very confusing, because there are lots of different options. But don’t worry about that, I’ll walk you through the most important settings, which might be very useful in the future for your WordPress blog.
- As well, with hosting, which I use this course, you’ll be able to host multiple websites. I will show you how you can easily do this. And in the future, if you’ll decide to create another WordPress website, you’ll not need to purchase another hosting plan.
- Every WordPress website needs a business email, and in this course, you will learn how to create it for free. You will be able to create an unlimited number of email accounts. And when sending email messages, you will look way more professional with your business email than with a regular one.
Starting With WordPress
- After you understand how to use hosting, we will move to the WordPress lessons. Here you will learn how to navigate the WordPress dashboard. At first glance, it might look very confusing because there are a lot of different settings. I’ll walk you through each section so you would understand how everything works.
- From here, we will move on to the WordPress settings. I’ll show you what adjustments you have to do if you want to have a proper running WordPress blog.
- Since WordPress is a free and open-source content management system, there are plenty of various themes and plugins. By using them, you can create almost any type of website. I’ll show you how to install them on your WordPress blog and how to activate them. With various combinations of plugins and themes, you’ll be able to create your unique-looking website.
- For this course, I’ll be using a free, yet very customizable, WordPress theme, which is called “Bam”. Using this theme, I was able to create a nice-looking website, which you will see at the beginning of this course.
- If you will want to create a different looking WordPress blog, I’ll show you where you can get premium themes. These are usually way more customizable, but they cost money. From my own experience, I can tell that they are worth it, but you need to know how to choose right. And this is where I’ll help you by sharing some tips for picking premium WordPress themes.
Adding content to your WordPress blog
- Usually, WordPress beginners have a difficult time understanding the difference between pages and blog posts. In this course, you’ll learn how they are different, and what type of information you should add to them.
- I’ll show you how to use the latest version of the WordPress text editor. With it, you’ll be able to create great-looking blog posts and pages.
- You’ll learn how to create contact us pages with a WordPress plugin “Ninja Forms.” Using this page your visitors will be able to contact you. You’ll receive their messages to your email.
Customizing your WordPress blog
- By following my customization lessons, you’ll be able to create a similar-looking WordPress blog, just like the one you saw in the introduction video. I’ll walk you through all settings, which you can use to customize a theme in your own way.
- I’ll show you how to create a footer for your WordPress blog in which we will include our pages and social media profiles. Most of the free themes don’t even let you do that unless you upgrade to a paid version. That’s why I like the “Bam” theme because with a free version, we will get a lot of customization options, and we will be able to create a footer.
- You will have two options for how you want your WordPress blog homepage to look. You can display the latest posts, or you can create a static page. By default, WordPress will show the latest posts, but I’ll show you how you can change that. This way, with the help of WordPress text editor, you can create your own homepage.
- And once you learn how the customization of WordPress themes works, you will be able to work with other themes as well. Most of the settings are very similar, and you shouldn’t face any issues.
WordPress SEO for beginners
- Writing content to your WordPress blog is not enough if you want to get organic traffic. I’ll show you how you can optimize your content so you will have better chances to appear in a higher position of Google search results. You will learn what keywords are and how you can use them in your advantage to get organic traffic.
- We will install the Yoast SEO plugin on our WordPress website, and I’ll show you the most important settings. Later we will use this plugin to add meta description and meta title to our WordPress blog posts. As well, we will be able to check how our blog posts look in Google search results.
- I will share with you two tools that you can use to do keyword research. With these tools, you will be able to understand how popular are your targeted keywords. As well, you will get some ideas for your WordPress blog posts.
- You have to know how much traffic you are getting and where it’s coming from if you want to have a successful WordPress website. By using Google Analytics, you can easily access this information. I’ll show you how to add it to your WordPress blog. Insights of Analytics will help you to understand your visitors better.
- As well, I will show you how to claim your website with Google Search Console. By using this tool, you can track the performance of your keywords, and much more. Also, Google will notify you about errors on your website, which needs your attention.